Online Middle School - English 6
English 6 is a comprehensive language arts course designed to create effective readers and writers. This course targets students’ growth in the areas of reading strategies, critical thinking skills, writing skills, and research skills. Student knowledge of literary elements and written responses are sharpened through ample examples and independent practice. Utilizing a novel, fiction, nonfiction, and poetry students engage in reading strategies and comprehension practice. A culminating research project enables students to synthesize reading, research, and writing skills. The overall goal of the class is to increase the literacy and writing ability of students.
Textbook: English 6 - © Excel Education Systems, Inc. - 2021
Throughout the course, you will meet the following goals:
- Demonstrate comprehension of fiction and nonfiction texts.
- Compare and contrast different genres.
- Develop writing skills for a variety of purposes.
- Demonstrate routine writing through interactive notebook responses.
- Demonstrate command of conventions of English grammar and usage.
- Apply strategies of using context clues.
- Use text evidence to analyze, infer, and synthesize ideas.
- Investigate sources of information.
- Construct a personal narrative and research project.
1: Literary Elements, Part 1
2: Language Skills
3: Novel Reading – Black Beauty
4: Literary Elements, Part 2
5: Midterm Exam
6: Autobiography and Biography
7: Classic Literature – Short Stories
8: Writing Skills
9: Research Skills
10: Literary Summaries
A = 90-100%
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
F = under 59%
Chapter Quizzes…………. 35%
Written Assignments……. 35%
Mid-Term/Final Exams…. 30%