Online Middle School Science 8 Syllabus
Science 8 is the final course in the progression of a middle school student’s understanding of the basics of the natural sciences (Physical Science, Life Science, Earth and Space Science). This course combines some main ideas of physical science, life science, and Earth and space science. Science 8 begins with a review of the Periodic Table, Bonds and Compounds, and Chemical Reactions. After two modules of life science review, the rest of the course covers fascinating Earth and space topics such as: Astronomy, Space Exploration, Our Solar System, Geology, and Our Planet Earth.
Textbook: Science 8 - © Excel Education Systems, Inc. - 2021
Throughout the course, you will meet the following goals:
- Explain the organization of the elements in the modern Periodic Table.
- Describe the difference between ionic bonds and ionic compounds.
- Describe the basic processes of what occurs during chemical reactions.
- List and describe the tools used in Astronomy.
- Describe the planets and the general characteristics of Our Solar System.
- Differentiate between the three major types of rocks.
- Explain the rock cycle.
- Describe the basic characteristics of Our Planet Earth, such as: Earth’s Rotation, the Seasons on Earth, and the effects of the Phases of Earth’s Moon.
1: The Periodic Table
2: Bonds and Compounds
3: Chemical Reactions
4: Species and Reproduction (Part 1)
5: Species and Reproduction (Part 2)
6: Astronomy Basics
7: Space Exploration
8: Our Solar System (Part 1)
9: Our Solar System (Part 2)
10: Characteristics of Our Solar System (Part 1)
11: Characteristics of Our Solar System (Part 2)
13: Planet Earth
14: Space Exploration (Part 2)
A = 90-100%
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
F = under 59%
Chapter Quizzes…………. 35%
Written Assignments……. 35%
Mid-Term/Final Exams…. 30%