Online Middle School English 8 Syllabus
English 8 expands on the fundamental middle school literary skills required for students to become effective and versatile readers and writers. Utilizing short stories, nonfiction, and a novel students engage in rich application of various literary structures. Students will gain an appreciation for literature through applying skills which increase comprehension and promote a deeper understanding of literary techniques. In addition, English 8 promotes the expansion of student vocabulary, as well as, composition of literary analysis and an extended research project. The overall goal of the class is to increase the literacy and writing ability of students in preparation for high school English courses.
Textbook: English 8 - © Excel Education Systems, Inc. - 2021
Throughout the course, you will meet the following goals:
- Compare and contrast different genres.
- Demonstrate routine writing skills for a variety of purposes.
- Demonstrate comprehension of fiction and nonfiction texts.
- Use text evidence to analyze, infer, and synthesize ideas.
- Demonstrate command of conventions of English grammar and usage.
- Apply strategies of using context clues.
- Investigate sources of information.
- Analyze types of media.
- Construct an informative research project.
1: What Makes an Interesting Character?
2: Making Literary Connections
3: Writing Skills
Novel Reading: The Wind in the Willows
4: Reading, Writing, and Presenting
5: Strengthening Your Writing Part 1
6: Strengthening Your Writing Part 2
7: Effective Communication
8: Media Analysis
9: Research Project
A = 90-100%
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
F = under 59%
Chapter Quizzes…………. 35%
Written Assignments……. 35%
Mid-Term/Final Exams…. 30%