Middle School English 7 Course Syllabus
English 7 is a comprehensive language arts course designed to create effective readers and writers through exposure to many forms of text, reading skills, vocabulary, and writing techniques. This course targets students’ growth in the areas of reading strategies, critical thinking skills, research techniques, and writing skills. Student knowledge of literary elements and written responses are sharpened through ample examples and independent practice. Utilizing a novel, fiction, nonfiction, and poetry students engage in reading strategies and comprehension practice. A culminating cause and effect research project enables students to synthesize reading, research, and writing skills. The overall goal of the class is to increase the literacy and writing ability of students.
Textbook: Science 7 - © Excel Education Systems, Inc. - 2021
Throughout the course, you will meet the following goals:
- Demonstrate comprehension of fiction and nonfiction texts.
- Compare and contrast different genres.
- Develop writing skills for a variety of purposes.
- Demonstrate routine writing through interactive notebook responses.
- Demonstrate command of conventions of English grammar and usage.
- Apply strategies of using context clues.
- Use text evidence to analyze, infer, and synthesize ideas.
- Investigate sources of information.
- Construct a cause-and-effect research project.
1: Literary Basics
2: Making Literary Connections Novel Reading
3: The Power of Organization
4: Powerful Writing
5: Literary Analysis
6: Research and Presentation Skills Cause and Effect Research Project
A = 90-100%
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
F = under 59%