High School Music Appreciation Course
Excel High School's Music Appreciation course offers an immersive auditory journey through the rich tapestry of Western music. Designed to enhance understanding and enjoyment, this course invites students to explore the fascinating interplay between music and the human experience. It is a celebration of the auditory art form, from the rhythmic intricacies of medieval chants to the profound symphonies of the Classical Era.
Students will acquire a lexicon of musical terms, grasp the fundamentals of notation, and recognize the instruments that orchestrate the melodies of history. Each lesson is an exploration of the cultural and historical context that shaped the music of different periods, providing insight into the lives and legacies of renowned composers. The course fosters a deeper appreciation for music by developing attentive listening skills and analytical approaches to understanding musical form and style.
Through this course, students are not just learning about music; they're engaging with it. They will analyze the relationships between music and society, and discover how the art form has both influenced and been influenced by the world around it. This Music Appreciation course is an enriching experience for those looking to expand their cultural literacy and for anyone who wishes to experience music more profoundly.
High School Music Appreciation
The purpose of this Music Appreciation course is to deepen the student’s awareness and understanding of the different ways the human experience is reflected in the musical arts and will emphasize the development of skills necessary to appreciate western music in a meaningful way. This course introduces basic musical terminology and notation, identifies many different musical instruments, and highlights the different periods of musical development from The Middle Ages, to the Classical Era.
Textbook: Music Appreciation (Boundless CC 4.0)
- Learn basic musical terminology and notation
- Learn standard formal designs used within western musical repertoire
- Explore stylistic elements that characterize historical periods and their composers
- Analyze relationships between music and society
- Develop effective listening techniques
- Consider prominent composers and selected musical masterpieces
- Chapter 1: Melody, Harmony, & Scales
- Chapter 2: Rhythm & Meter
- Chapter 3: Textures & Forms
- Chapter 4: Tempo & Dynamics
- Chapter 5: Classification of Human Voices
- Chapter 6: Musical Instrument Families
- Chapter 7: Musical Ensembles
- Chapter 9: The Renaissance
- Chapter 10: The Baroque Era
- Chapter 11: Baroque Opera
- Chapter 12: Baroque Instrumental
- Chapter 13: The Classical Era
- Chapter 14: Classical Opera/Choral Music
- Chapter 15: Classical Instrumentation
A = 90-100%
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
F = under 59%
How Much Does It Cost?
Standard high school courses are priced at an affordable $225 each. This cost-effective rate makes quality education accessible for every student.
Enrolling is Easy!
Begin the Enrollment Process
When you're ready to take the next step towards your education, simply click 'Enroll Now'. This will direct you to our dedicated student information system, Learnstage. Once there, simply click 'Enroll Now' located in the top right corner of the page.
Create Your Learn Stage Account
Next, you'll be asked to create your student account. This process begins with entering a valid email address and selecting a secure password. Following this, you'll be prompted to provide some essential information such as the students full name, date of birth, and address. On the last page, you will be asked to choose a security question.
Single course options at Excel High School range in price depending on their difficulty. Single course prices are below:
- Standard High School Courses: $225
- Honors High School Courses: $325
- (AP) High School Courses: $599
You're Ready To Start!
Once your payment has been received, you'll get an email with your student account details. This will be your portal to submit any previous academic transcripts, view vital account information, and navigate other critical resources. Your classes will be added automatically and adjusted based on your submitted transcripts (if applicable).