Online Middle School - Math 6 Syllabus
Math 6 focuses on various methods of engagement with numbers by exploring conceptual understanding, computational and procedural skills, as well as problem-solving. The 6th grade standards have students studying: numbers and their operations, introductory algebra ideas, geometry and measurement, as well as data analysis. The first half of Math 6 covers basic principles, properties, and applications of numbers. The second half of the course explores introductory geometric, algebraic, and statistical topics using those number skills.
Textbook: Math 6 - © Excel Education Systems, Inc. - 2021
Throughout the course, you will meet the following goals:
- Write and represent rational numbers and perform operations using them.
- Solve real-world and mathematical problems requiring arithmetic with decimals, fractions, and mixed numbers.
- Understand the concept of a ratio and use ratios & rates to solve real-world problems.
- Recognize and visually represent relationships with unknown quantities
- Use properties of arithmetic to evaluate expressions involving a variable.
- Calculate perimeter, area, and volume of two- and three-dimensional figures to solve real-world problems.
- Represent and interpret data from different types of graphs and charts.
1: Integers and Number Lines
2: Operations with Decimals
4: Operations with Fractions
5: Ratios and Rates
6: Applications of Rates & Conversions
7: Polygons, Area, and Perimeter
8: Applications of Geometry
9: Visually Representing Data
10: Introduction to Variables
11: Evaluating with Variables
12: Solving Algebraic Equations
A = 90-100%
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
F = under 59%
Chapter Quizzes…………. 35%
Written Assignments……. 35%
Mid-Term/Final Exams…. 30%