History of Jazz Music Online High School Course
This course is designed to provide students with a better understanding and appreciation of the history of jazz music. It will explore the development of jazz from its beginnings through present day, emphasizing how culture and society shaped its evolution. Students will be introduced to the chronological order of jazz styles, the important composers who pioneered each style, and the components that distinguished each style of jazz. Through listening examples, students will become more aware of what each composer/performer is trying to communicate through their music. By accomplishing the objectives below, students will improve their current listening experiences, discover new avenues of musical enjoyment, and broaden their cultural and historical knowledge.
Textbook: History of Jazz Music - Excel Education Systems, Inc. ©
Citation for this textbook:
Ulven, J. (2020, September). History of Jazz Music. Retrieved from Excel High School Canvas.
Throughout the course, you will meet the following goals:
- Understand the periods of jazz and their relationship to history, culture, and society.
- Identify important jazz composers/performers who contributed to the evolution of jazz.
- Develop knowledge of the vocabulary and elements used in jazz composition.
- Develop listening skills to further understand the expressive qualities of each jazz style.
- Gain an appreciation of jazz by understanding a composer’s personal voice through their music.
|Semester A||Semester B|
|1: The Beginnings of Jazz||6: The Swing Era of Jazz|
|2: New Orleans Style Jazz||7: Bebop and Cool Jazz|
|3: Ragtime||8: Latin Jazz|
|4: Jazz Piano Styles||9: Hard Bop and Modal Jazz|
|5: Early Jazz and the Blues||10: Eras of Free, Fusion, and Jazz of Today|
A = 90-100%
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
F = under 59%
Written Assignments..... 20%
Final Exam ………………..... 30%
Need more online high school courses (Click Here)