Online Middle School Science 7 Syllabus
Science 7 is the second course in the progression of a student’s understanding of the basics of the natural sciences (Physical Science, Life Science, Earth and Space Science). This course reviews some of the physical science concepts covered in Science 6, such as: matter, measurement, mixtures and solutions, waves, and energy, while introducing critical life science concepts. Specific life science topics include: the cell, succession, and population, ecosystems, biodiversity, mitosis, and meiosis, DNA, genes, and chromosomes. This course also introduces the Scientific Method, the Periodic Table, and the basics of ecology.
Textbook: Science 7 - © Excel Education Systems, Inc. - 2021
Throughout the course, you will meet the following goals:
- Describe and apply the steps of the Scientific Method.
- Explain the organization of the Periodic Table.
- Explain how chemical reactions are classified.
- Distinguish between living and non-living things and list their characteristics.
- Explain the levels of biodiversity and their effects on living things.
- Describe the basics of DNA, genes, and chromosomes.
- Summarize the major events during mitosis and meiosis.
1: The Scientific Method and the Periodic Table
2: Measurement and Mixtures
4: Solutions and Chemical Reactions
5: The Cell
6: Succession and Population
7: Habitats and Ecosystems
10: Mitosis and Meiosis
11: DNA, Genes, and Chromosomes
12: Ecology Basics
13: Waves and Energy
14: Characteristics of Waves
15: Conservation of Energy
16: Wind and Water
17: Types of Signals
18: Compression and Conversion of Signals
A = 90-100%
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
F = under 59%
Chapter Quizzes…………. 35%
Written Assignments……. 35%
Mid-Term/Final Exams…. 30%