Consumer Math Online Course Syllabus
Consumer Math is designed to teach students everyday math skills such as balancing a
checkbook, creating a budget, buying a car or home, personal record-keeping, and paying taxes. The goal of this Consumer Math course is to enable students to make educated decisions on matters of personal finance. The course focuses on awareness of consumer-related issues and strives to help students become "more informed" consumers now and in the future. Units on purchasing a car, purchasing a home, and insurance will also be covered.
Textbook: © Excel Education Systems, Inc. - 2021
Throughout the course, you will meet the following goals:
• Compute weekly and annual wages and salary for different pay periods.
• To change prices from cents to dollars and from dollars to cents.
• Determine the amount of money saved due to sale prices and discounts.
• Calculate problems related to down payments, monthly payments, and total amounts.
• Compute the price of a car when financing arrangements are made.
• Use ratios and proportion to calculate fat calories and change recipe yields.
• Estimate the quantity of materials and the costs associated doing home improvements.
• Create a budget and compute the percent of income to be spent on each budget item.
• Learn the basics of preparing tax returns: exemptions, deductions, and taxable income
Chapter 1: Your Income Chapter
Chapter 2: Pricing and Cost Chapter
Chapter 3: Buying and Making Clothing Chapter
Chapter 4: Housing Chapter
Chapter 5: Vehicles Chapter
Chapter 6: Calories and Nutrition Chapter
Chapter 7: Home Improvement
Chapter 8: Travel and Lodging
Chapter 9: Managing a Budget
Chapter 10: Saving and Investing
Chapter 11: Taxes
Chapter 12: Occupations
A = 90-100%
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
F = under 59%
Chapter Quizzes…………. 35%
Written Assignments……. 35%
Mid-Term/Final Exams…. 30%
Need more online high school courses (Click Here)