High School STEM Biotechnology Course
The Biotechnology introductory course at Excel High School serves as a comprehensive gateway into the fascinating realms of microbiology, human genetics, and the ever-evolving bioethical issues associated with them. Encompassing fundamental aspects from the history of DNA/RNA technology and molecular biology to laboratory safe practices, students are ushered into a world where they get to appreciate the intricate tapestry of life at the genetic level.
The curriculum ensures that by the end of this course, students will be adept at elucidating the structure and function of vital genetic components like DNA, RNA, genes, chromosomes, and proteins. They will have a well-rounded understanding of biotechnology, its myriad real-world applications, and its undeniable impact on healthcare innovation. Notably, the course shines a light on how biotechnology has not only revolutionized healthcare by making it more efficient and affordable but has also spurred various social and ethical debates. Furthermore, students will gain insights into how innovative genetic engineering methods have led to the creation of new varieties of farm plants and animals, and delve deep into the mechanisms through which genetic information is inherited across generations.
STEM Biotechnology Course
This introductory Biotechnology course offers the student an opportunity to experience the basics of microbiology, human genetics, and exploration of bioethical issues. This course includes career exploration, as well as the history and applications of DNA/RNA technology, molecular biology, bioethics, and laboratory safe practices. Specific topics in genomics and bioinformatics are included. The course concludes discussing bioethical issues relating to this powerful new technology.
Textbook: Biotechnology © Excel Education Systems, Inc. - 2020
Throughout the course, you will meet the following goals:
- Describe the structure and function of DNA, RNA, chromosomes, genes, and proteins.
- Define biotechnology, including examples of real-world applications.
- Describe the many ways that Biotechnology has contributed to health care innovations, lowered its costs and have led to a variety of controversial social and ethical issues.
- Discuss new varieties of farm plants and animals have been engineered by manipulating their genetic instructions to produce new characteristics.
- Explain how genetic information is passed from parents to offspring.
- 1: An Introduction to Biotechnology
- 2: The Biotechnology Laboratory
- 3: Careers in Biotechnology
- 4: Scientific Measurement
- 5: DNA and RNA
- 6: Analyzing RNA and Proteins
- 7: PCR and DNA Sequencing
- 8: Recombinant Molecules and Bioremediation
- 9: GMO, Drug Discovery, and Vaccine Development
A = 90-100%
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
F = under 59%
How Much Does It Cost?
Standard high school courses are priced at an affordable $225 each. This cost-effective rate makes quality education accessible for every student.
Enrolling is Easy!
Begin the Enrollment Process
When you're ready to take the next step towards your education, simply click 'Enroll Now'. This will direct you to our dedicated student information system, Learnstage. Once there, simply click 'Enroll Now' located in the top right corner of the page.
Create Your Learn Stage Account
Next, you'll be asked to create your student account. This process begins with entering a valid email address and selecting a secure password. Following this, you'll be prompted to provide some essential information such as the students full name, date of birth, and address. On the last page, you will be asked to choose a security question.
Single course options at Excel High School range in price depending on their difficulty. Single course prices are below:
- Standard High School Courses: $225
- Honors High School Courses: $325
- (AP) High School Courses: $599
You're Ready To Start!
Once your payment has been received, you'll get an email with your student account details. This will be your portal to submit any previous academic transcripts, view vital account information, and navigate other critical resources. Your classes will be added automatically and adjusted based on your submitted transcripts (if applicable).