Biotechnology Online Course STEM High School
This introductory Biotechnology course offers the student an opportunity to experience the basics of microbiology, human genetics, and exploration of bioethical issues. This course includes career exploration, as well as the history and applications of DNA/RNA technology, molecular biology, bioethics, and laboratory safe practices. Specific topics in genomics and bioinformatics are included. The course concludes discussing bioethical issues relating to this powerful new technology.
Textbook: © Excel Education Systems, Inc. - 2020
Throughout the course, you will meet the following goals:
- Describe the structure and function of DNA, RNA, chromosomes, genes, and proteins.
- Define biotechnology, including examples of real-world applications.
- Describe the many ways that Biotechnology has contributed to health care innovations, lowered its costs and have led to a variety of controversial social and ethical issues.
- Discuss new varieties of farm plants and animals have been engineered by manipulating their genetic instructions to produce new characteristics.
- Explain how genetic information is passed from parents to offspring.
1: An Introduction to Biotechnology
2: The Biotechnology Laboratory
3: Careers in Biotechnology
4: Scientific Measurement
5: DNA and RNA
6: Analyzing RNA and Proteins
7: PCR and DNA Sequencing
8: Recombinant Molecules and Bioremediation
9: GMO, Drug Discovery, and Vaccine Development
A = 90-100%
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
F = under 59%
Final Exam ………………. 30%
Need more online high school courses (Click Here)