American Sign Language 1 introduces students to the basic hand movements and other body expressions of American Sign Language. This course uses useful educational enhancements, such as short video-based illustrations of various signs as well as reinforcing lecture videos, in order to help students confidently communicate in ASL. This course also increases students' awareness of the deaf and hard-of-hearing community by introducing students to the technologies used by deaf people, challenges faced by deaf people in school and the workplace, and important figures in deaf culture.
Textbook: American Sign Language 1 © Excel Education Systems, Inc. 2023
- Learn basic communication in American Sign Language
- Perform signs for the manual alphabet, asking questions, and indicating tenses.
- Demonstrate signs for colors, animals, emotions, school objects, holidays, and many more.
- Follow etiquette rules for sign conversations
- Define deaf culture and explain its history
- List career opportunities for those with ASL skills.
- Introduction to American Sign Language
- Getting to Know You & Others
- Sign Conversations
- Time & Weather
- Around the House & Food
- Technology & Travel
- Around Town & the Workplace
- Other Situations
- Being Deaf at School
- Interdisciplinary Involvement with the d/Deaf
A = 90-100%
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
F = under 59%
Chapter Quizzes…………. 35%
Written Assignments……. 35%
Mid-Term/Final Exams…. 30%
Need more online high school courses (Click Here)